Wednesday 4 July 2012

Designer quickie: SOEL by Sonja Lamut




When did you realize that you want to become a fashion designer?
I got attracted to fashion design and started thinking about it in a more serious manner fairly late, right after I entered graphic design school, but my love for fashion design has been growing ever since.

How did you come up with your brand’s name? What does it mean SOEL?
Few years ago I have brainstorming about my first and last name combinations when opening a new email address account until I got a name which looked and sounded good to me so I kept it for my brand name as well.

On which fashion contests did you participate so far and with which results?
Fashion incubator was first contest which I participated on and this was my starting point, after this I participated in Cro-a-porter which was my biggest wish in terms of events to participate on.

Who are your professional role models?
I don't call them people role models; I call them my loves in fashion sense of course, because I was intrigued by them just as I would be intrigued by the real-life loves. Marc Jacobs I consider a special category, a whole different love affair and have him in a separate box not to mix him up with others.  J

What was your inspiration for the last collection you showed on Cro-a-porter?
For a fairly long time I was obsessed with empty hard as inspiration. It all started with one peplum blazer and shirt with heart detail last year – I felt like I needed to tap into this inspiration some more. I named my collection „love more“exactly because of these empty hearts, as a message to people to fill their hearts better and love each other more!


How do you see Croatian fashion industry today?
The current situation in Croatian fashion industry is not good at all, but this just means that it can be better which is motivational for me! I like what I am doing and I am enjoying fashion and I am trying not to be bothered by negatives of it, I think I am way too small to change anything.

Do you think that fashion designer today needs to have a formal fashion education in order to be successful and profitable?
No. I know a lot of people who are self-taught designers and who have a good nose for business; they are the living proof that one doesn't need a formal education to be successful fashion designer.

You have a degree in graphic design, but you also went to fashion school, do you think that fashion school has prepared you for successful management of your own fashion business?
In school, everything was more structured; there were some rules, now when I am taking pleasure in breaking those rules and proving them otherwise.

Do you think that one can live solely of fashion design in Croatia?
 Yes, I do. One just needs to adjust to current situation locally.

How much showing on Cro-a-porter fashion event did help you in selling and promoting your new collection?
This was the only public showing of my collection and my best investment so far.




Who are the women you would like to see wearing your pieces? All women are welcome!

What is the most important at the beginning of creating a new collection for you? What kind of fabrics do you use?
 I like to use natural fabrics. Cotton is always first option, but I also like to play with other a bit more artificial fabrics which can give a nice touch to pieces.

Me in coral SOEL body top

What is the price range of your pieces?
 I have adjusted my prices to fit the average Croatian budget.

How do you see the influence of social media and fashion bloggers to fashion industry globally?
I see social media as a widow for those who never walk through my street. Social media and bloggers coverage are surely very effective way of promoting designer brand.

What is the next in line for you?
(Boutique sales, opening my own shop, international sales etc.) First of my own brand boutique and after this everything else.


Foto: Franjo Matković Make up: Kristina Pavlov Model: Lada Marmelada Torbe: Mica Torbica Sa Šlagom Nakit: Etoile de mer

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment