Saturday 19 May 2012

BOOK REVIEW: "Elegance" by Kathleen Tessaro



Elegance is a sort of harmony that rather resembles beauty, 
with the difference that the beauty is more often a gift of nature and elegance the result of art. Elegance is rare in the modern world, largely because it requires precision, attention to detail, and the careful development of a delicate taste in all forms of manners and style. In short, it does not come easily to most women and never will.


This is the second book titled Elegance which I read in the last 3 years. My friends often tease me that I have a funny way of picking books (based on the way the cover looks). Ok, it's true that I gravitate towards fancy font, pink colored, girly covers which mostly means that I go for so called chic-lit tittles.

The first book titled Elegance by madame Genevieve Antoine Dariaux I purchased on a yard sales when I lived in Towson, Maryland and went to many yard sales with a lovely lady who I babysat for at the time- Mrs.Deb.

When I came home I parked it at the shelf and didn't get to read it until I moved to NYC to work in fashion industry. I can say, without exaggeration that this book positively contributed to my transition from a young lady to a women, in that particularly sensitive age from teen years to twenties. This book is a complete guide for woman who wants to be well and properly dressed for every occasion, it is a true style bible. 

The second book titled Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro is inspired by the original Elegance by French madame Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. It is an interesting and witty real life trial and interpretation of Dariaux's style rules from the original book written in the 1960's  by an English lady author Kathleen Tessaro.

I highly recommend you to read this book so I will not tell you how it ends.At first, I felt sorry for the main character Louise Canova, she reminded me very much on a Bridget Jones type of girl, so I had some prejudices as such character is a polar opposite of my own personality. However, as I continued to read, I started feeling as I was her friend, she pulled me into her story and I could relate on many situation she was going through, despite our character differences. I was very proud of her at the end of the book. :)

Here is a short video summary of the book by Kathleen Tessaro herself. 


Next, I would like to share a couple of my favorite quotes and style rules from madame Genevieve Antoine Dariaux which I memorized and have continued to ensure myself into as I go through my life adventure, so I hope these help you lovelies as well.


"Being beautiful is no guarantee of happiness in this world. 
Strive instead for elegance, grace and style."


To be elegant is first of all to know oneself, 
and to know oneself well requires a certain amount of reflection and intelligence.


"Refuse to be seduced by anything that isn't first rate!"


"When comfort becomes an end in itself, it is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance."


"Always shop alone. Women who shop with their friends may be popular, 
but elegant they are NOT."


"Underwear. Do not confuse beautiful lingerie, the kind that supports well and remains fresh, with the cheap, vulgar stuff of men's magazines. Fascinating? I'm certain. But elegant it is NOT."

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Ovu knjigu škicam već jedno vrijeme i nikako da je više kupim (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odlična je. Savjetujem da počneš sa originalom by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux

      Delete
  2. Sinoć sam ju pročitala, guštala sam danima.. Na početku sam čak i plakala jer sam toliko slična L :) Definitivno mi treba preporod :)

    ReplyDelete