Monday 16 April 2012

Arena Centar bloggers challenge: 5 speed shopping lessons


Photo source: www.pojemario.com

As you might remember from my previous post, recently I entered an adventure called Arena Centar bloggers challenge together with 7 other Croatian ladies, also fashion bloggers. Yesterday, I had my first challenge; I was paired with Ana, the author of Psycho Couture blog.

I can’t say I was nervous, but I was surely excited and anxious to kick it off. After short interview session, with some navigation help from lovely ladies from Krpa.hr (and one gentleman – Filip), guys from camera crew and charming lady from Arena Centarwho was our host, I kicked off the challenge first, running around from starting point to designated store locations trying to put together an outfit according to task Ana and I pulled out of the hat.

                                                  Photo source: www.pojemario.com

Since I cannot show you the photos of the final outfit I managed to put together according to set task, budget, one hour of designated time & pre set store locations, I decided to share a bit of an atmosphere from the challenge itself, thoughts that went through my head while searching for outfit pieces and final learnings I pulled out of this shopping challenge experience.

 #1 - Go with your gut feeling.
This challenge has showed me that I really learned have a sense of what I like and know what kind of fabrication, size and fit I feel comfortable in and which suits my personal image, so I should always just go with the first thing that catches my attention and definitely prior to going shopping, set some budget amount for myself and stick to it. I learned that it is possible! J

 #2 – Choose a key statement piece and work the outfit around it.
Knowing that I might have a hard time finding shoe size in designated store (although it is 39-40, so US size 9) I focused on finding a good quality, stylish statement shoes right on task and I worked the rest of the outfit around it.

 #3 – Stay true to your personal style.
Set themed outfit tasks can also set some new expectations, I was afraid that I will need to compromise my usual preferences for good quality fabrication of key pieces for quantity in order to create a complete styling with accessories and all within a tight budget and pre-set stores. This wasn’t the case, I still went for natural fabrication mixes although it cost me more money.

 #4 – Explore new stores.
This challenge has made me shop in some stores I wouldn’t necessarily instinctively go to for the type of the clothes asked by the set task. However, it taught me to browse more and yes, go with my gut feeling and first instinct but not to buy right away, but rather go and check other stores and come back, which due to lack of free time for shopping I don’t often practice. I mostly shop when on vacation or in between flights on airports.

#5 – Use accessories to show your personality (but don’t overdo it).
With this being a bloggers challenge I felt like the pre-set expectation might have been to “dress like a blogger” whatever this might mean, although they weren’t. However, I am a firm believer that a lady should show her playfulness or her personality trait with accessories but not to the point that she looks like she just wants attention. Accessories and clothes should just be an extension of the person; if they undermine the looks of the lady herself then they are definitely in excess. 


I would like to especially thank my friend Ana Mandekic the author of most fabulous beauty blog and vlog Maybe’s New Start for the support and encouragement & Mario Poje, an amazing IT help and even better photographer who took all of these photos of me.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Go Kat Go! Bravo,Katarina! Bravo i Ana, koja ti je bila podrška! Kada će se moći vidjeti outfiti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala Minela na komentaru i potpori! Ana je divna i puno iznenađenja kao i uvijek :) 25.05. ce se moci vidjeti outfiti.
      Nadam se da ce ti se svidjeti! :)

      La Kat

      Delete
  2. Dear Kat, this is lovely post, although I more or less know the facts you stated those were, however, usefull tips that I should definitelly try to remember. Wish you luck with the challenge,I will stay tuned,and although I'm following all the great bloggers paricipating in the challenge, my support goes to you. So, go Kat go :-) Can't wait to see the outfits and the rest of the tasks :-) Keep up the great work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dunja for all of the encouraging words, for reading and following my blog and chearing for me in this contest! Your comment made my day!

      La Kat

      Delete
  3. navijamo. a i u dosta si opakoj konkurenciji. no poznavajuci anin stil- ona ce sigurno ici na dvije boj- nude ili crno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe :) Hvala! :) Ne brinem za konkurenciju :) Igram se i slijedim svoj instinkt.

      Delete
  4. joj super su fotkee <3 slatke ste mi i ti i ana <3 jedva cekam vidjeti sto ste izabrale! :* Ljupka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala ti! Nadam se da ce vam se svidjeti nasi outfiti ;)

      Delete
  5. Divna si! Fotkice su super! A Mandekićka mi je super slatka sa ovim transparentom! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala ti :) Ana je luda totalno :) Mislila sam da se šali kada je rekla noć prije da radi transparent! :)

      Delete